Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Normal. For Trelystan.

You get up.

You think - 'Today I will do a, b and c'. Tra la.

I skip downstairs to start the day and discover something nasty on the floor of the utility room. Neither dog admits responsibility. I clear it up.

Off I go to let the hens out and find something even nastier seeping from the septic tank. I watch a, b and c disappear over the horizon. I let the Glam Ass eat his toast before breaking the news.

I would have thought, all things considered, that this was a good excuse to Get a Man In. But no. In no time at all my own man has donned his  boiler suit, wellies and rubber gloves. The poorly hand is under at least 2 layers of protective clothing and he's off before my squeak of 'Watch that hand' reaches his ears. The inspection covers come off - slowly because screwdrivering is now quite difficult - and the problem can be assessed.

Adrian who has been helping us do some gardening while we have been a hand short comes over to look as well. What is it about a hole in the ground that arouses so much interest - even one as horrid as this?

I'm not going to go into detail here but Adrian volunteers to dig the tank out; grabbing the spade and getting stuck in without any cajouling or offers of vast sums of money. We watch in amazement. Bless him, bless him, bless him. The man is a saint. Or stupid.

I am dispatched to buy bags of pea gravel to bed down the leveled up chamber (technical stuff this - impressed?) It turns out that in a former life Adrian was a ground worker so what he doen't know about installing things like this isn't worth knowing.

The Glam Ass of course can't resist helping, injured hand or not - and this probably isn't a good idea. When I return The Hand is quite swollen from the exertion - but he's a happy man. Doing stuff again. Normal nearly.

Progress of a sort I think.

PS - He's just made an Ikea bookcase - no stopping him now!

9 comments:

Pam said...

There's no stopping him is there. That kind of job is always one I'm happy to let my OH tackle - far too smelly!
Am I to assume that you'll be partaking in naBloPoMo this year then? Please?

rachel said...

It's odd, isn't it, this ability that men have to deal with drains and the like without fainting, yet they remain largely unable to deal with a really vile nappy.....

Twiglet said...

Hehe ! I love Rachel's comment. So glad your men folk enjoyed getting their hands dirty -ugh!!!! Really pleased to hear Glam. Ass. is on the mend.

snailbeachshepherdess said...

I could do with Adrian over this side of the valley when he's got about six months to spare. Glad to hear the Glam Ass is showing signs of recovery - interfering in shopping is always a good sign of a recovery! Its when he starts putting essentials BACK on the shelf you will really flip!!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I am pleased to tell you I could recognise pea gravel at 30 paces. My own personal a,b,c has been totally derailed by beloved 92 year old FIL breaking his hip. Will life ever return to this kind of normal? who knows.

Tattieweasle said...

Isn't there a saying that if see an 'ole there's a man in it??? Glad to know all is sorted.

Frances said...

It's always a thrill to discover folks' hidden talents or knowlege, or experience.

Hoping that GA's hands will not have any setback.

I long ago gave up on thinking about a, b, or c, upon waking up. (Well, in my own home life I might still embrace that concept, but once I get to work it is always anything-might-happen day.)

Best wishes to you and yours. xo

Pondside said...

Really - what IS it about a hole in the ground and men....or the open hood of a car....or anything stalled?
As for Adrian - offer him whatever it takes to become a permanent fixture. Build him a house, adopt him, marry him off to your daughter or niece...he is a treasure.

Furniture Movers Fontana said...

I enjoyed rreading this