Monday, November 05, 2007

Fungus.

Just to prove I don't spend all my time with my nose in the air looking skyward at the clouds scudding by, here are some things from ground level:

Strange beauties. I'm ashamed to say I haven't a clue what any of them are called though I suspect the phallic one may be a junior Shaggy Ink Cap. I've studied the field guide at length; it comes with many instructions and warnings in bold type but does draw the line at 'skull and cross bone' type symbols to denote toxicity. The words CAUTION and POISONOUS occur too frequently for my liking.

It may be that these weird critters are totally innocent, but until I know that for certain I'm off to Sainsbury's when I fancy a mushroom risotto.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Agree that the phallic one is a shaggy ink cap. we ate some this year having bottled it last year. they were good but dont last - need to pick them, bring them home and fry them up straight away.