Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sheep and lambs - ahhh!

Shortly after dawn Heather 'loosed' a couple of ewes and their lambs onto our field. I heard the quad bike but didn't stir from my cosy bed.

Mid morning, Danny and Phil came along with a few more so now we have a little flock. The lambs are 'box-fresh' and crumpled. They seem to have too much skin for their bodies; it lies in wrinkly folds. This one, below, is a tiny scrap compared to his brother and at about 24 hours old has learned the wisdom of turning his back to the wind and weather. Hardly common sense, more innate behaviour I think.
I hope his mum will take him down into the dingle where there is a little shelter in the old hedge line. It's a bit inhospitable out there today - not much of a welcome to the world.

6 comments:

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

"Loosed" - they make giving birth sound so easy... Oh, I do hope his mum does take him down to the dingle - it's blowing a gale here, so I dread to think what it's like up by you, but they're obviously robust little little creatures made for the hills.

Gorgeous pictures and gorgeous little lambs.

Claire said...

These little guys always get the aaah! vote. What a shock to enter the world on such a blustery day. I love the sound of sheep bleating. We have plenty in Cornwall but in this valley we have bullocks cavorting.

Jodie Robson said...

Sweet - the farm we live on doesn't have sheep any more, and I rather miss them.

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

Fab! I'm such a sucker for wee lambs!

Poetess said...

Oh I just love lambs. Don't see many in the south so was pleased on a recent trip home to the Lakes to see the fields were full of skipping lambs.

Poetessxxx

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading your blog - you should write a book!!