Sunday, March 16, 2008

7 things about Me...

Cometh the hour - cometh the tag....thanks to cowgirl. Here are the rules: Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog:

Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.

Hmm. Have I done this before or not. Scratch head. Anyway - harmless fun - off I go to the weird and wonderful 'Facts About Me Department.'

Fact 1:The badge on the right of this picture is the badge from the straw boater worn by the uniformed and smirking dumpling of a schoolgirl in the photograph. The girl is me - on one of my estimated 2,590 stops in Leamington Bus Station between 1963 and 1970. My journey to school took 45 minutes in each direction - so 1½ hours per day, which is - believe it or not - nearly 81 days worth of travel. Time enough to go round the world with Jules Verne. But no, I only went as far as Kings High School, Warwick and back a lot of times. I received a good education but remember it with very mixed feelings.

Fact 2
I would like in indulge in time travel. I'm not greedy - half and hour in a place of my choice (probably in the past) would be fascinating. Think about it, half an hour is probably about right. Enough to leave you wanting more but sufficient when you consider early medicine and earth closets and remember those moments when one's children were little savages.

Fact 3:

What's there not to like about a silly hat and a brown cow? (Had 'cute' had been invented in 1954 or was I ahead of my time?)

I had a great childhood.

As children we had the run of 600 acres of farmland as our playground - elf 'n' safety hadn't been invented so we could indulge in all sorts of ventures and adventures. I know what happens if you put a banger in a biscuit tin, fall out of a tree or try smoking dock leaves in a piece of the Stratford Herald. I know that it was possible to cycle the 9 miles home from Leamington virtually no-handed.......

Fact 4
The best thing I ever learned to do was to read. I cannot imagine a world without words and books.

Fact 5
I am convinced that the pictures are better on the radio. Give me Radio 4, the Afternoon Play, a room to decorate and I am a happy bunny.

Fact 6
Favourite food: cold chinese takeaway eaten at the door of the refrigerator in the wee small hours. No calories you see, if eaten standing up. And if you believe that you'll believe anything! Check the link for other helpful dietary tips.
Runner-up in the food category - toast.

Fact 7
I believe - as the badge on my best gardening hat says - that 'Nothing is Ordinary'. Nothing is, is it? It's a truly remarkable world with surprises around every corner. Hoorah for that.

At this point I'm supposed to 'tag' 7 more bloggers but can't believe there is anyone left on the planet who has not yet disclosed 7 random facts about themselves. If you've not already taken part in this infectious meme, please don't wait to be asked. Start scribbling now.

11 comments:

Norma Murray said...

I love the thought of your life, though would like to add dried nettles in bronco toilet paper makes a better smoke. Was that cow friendly?

Claire said...

Facts 4,5 and 6 are spot on where I am concerned. Cold Chow Mein eaten from the fridge the next day - mmm!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Love your facts. I think I had the same type of education so know what you mean about the mixed feelings.

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

My school journey from the age of 13 to 18 was around the same length on the bus!

Totally agree about calorie-free cold Chinese - and reading.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Loved all the detail in fact one . . .but loved all your facts they are quite different.

Lovely to hear that you enjoyed your childhood and that you lived it to the full. Something I would want to hear from my own kids.

Pam said...

This post was great! I loved my childhood too. Hope my son goes on to love his.
I smoked dried banana once - what was I thinking??? The best had to be ripe blackberries, right out of the hedgerow - marvelous!

Exmoorjane said...

Fabulous post. You know, I hadn't thought about how far I had to travel to school. Walk, bus, another bus and walk again.....what kids would do that now?
Love the list. jxx

Milla said...

Fact 6 is utterly vile, but theh picture of you and the cow is just divine. And funny to think you could have gone round the world, and not just the hamster trudge of to school and back. T11 has all this coming up, and it will be a shock after a 4 minute walk.

Ragged Roses said...

I'm a firm believer in food having no calories when eaten standing up too! I also share your passion for Radio 4 and decorating, love it. Sounds like we went to similar schools too. Have a Happy Easter
Kimx

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Lovely, lovely list, Mountainear. And delighted to hear food eaten standing up does not count - on that basis, I probably consume about 30 calories a day - am standing up drinking wine and eating crisps as I type this with gay abandon, and will now blithely continue to do so. (If I've got that wrong, please don't enlighten me - ignorance is bliss in this case.) Love that cow picture.

Mopsa said...

Yess!! And there is no monosodium glutamate in cold Chinese food either! That cow and you had a good thing going.