Monday, December 31, 2007

Box-fresh

The tiniest of bleets greeted me this morning as I went out onto the field to feed the hens. Over the rise and at the top of the dingle, standing small and all alone, was this little scrap. His mother was tucked into a thicket of blackthorn a few metres away with two more lambs. Triplets then, obviously born in the early hours and all a good size too.

My shepherding - though largely vicarious - I take very seriously. I picked him up and reunited him with his mother who didn't seem over concerned that a third of her new family had gone missing. (But then she wasn't overwhelmed at his return either - a quick sniff and a grunt was all the welcome he got.)

What a good omen it seems, new life for the new year.

4 comments:

Totty Teabag said...

I think the poor little bloke needs a foster Mum ASAP...three onto two teats doesn't go...how are you with a bottle?[BG]

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

Goodness, a lamb already. Bless him.

Exam Crisis said...

Its so cute, I am upset that we missed it. Hopefully when we see you again they will still be little babies for me to coo over. Happy new year

occasional northerner said...

My aunt, for whom I lambed as a student, offered me the job this year. My office operates a system of extended leave every 7 years of being a partner. I nearly took mine to do it. I suspect it would be very good for me.