Friday, April 27, 2007

I also found eggs.....

We planted this Korean Pine only a couple of months ago. It's probably less than 2m high and because there is as yet no other planting around it, it's a bit like the 'Lonesome Pine'. Look closely and you will see that Mr and Mrs Goldfinch have decided this is the ideal home and have built the ideal nest:
At the front of the house, tucked in Rosa 'Alberic Barbier' live Mr and Mrs Hedge Sparrow. ('The Dunnocks' to their friends.) The Robins live above them:
But Mrs Pheasant has lost this egg. How careless. I found it on the field and couldn't resist an 'arty' display of egg, flower and twig:

3 comments:

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

The blue of the robin's eggs is utterly divine. I would like a dress that colour!

mountainear said...

I think my grammar has got the better of me: I imply that the eggs in the pictures are those of nesting robins. They are actually those of the dunnocks. (Still a blulovely colour) Robins' eggs are actually white and speckedly - unless they are American robins - in which case blue would be right.

And yes, whatever bird, it's a beautiful colour - I can't imagine me dressed in it - but wow! wouldn't armfuls of that blue silk be breathtaking?

Annie said...

I love that colour blue....

.....and i have to say a top in that would go lovely with your newly altered [note i didn't say shortened hehehe] trousers....now ready for collection. See you soon x