Tuesday, February 22, 2011

'All the Single Ladies'...

It's February and drama competition time again. Here we have Chirbury and Marton YFC rehearsing their take on Beyonce's 'All the Single Ladies' as part of their 'entertainment'.

We seemed to get off to quite an early start this year and there were moments when things seemed to be going swimmingly, but now with only two days to go before they tread the boards in Whitchurch's unlovely Civic Hall chaos reigns. Maureen tells me they are ready for an audience. I think they should be locked in a room until lines are learned. Properly. I then remind myself that this isn't the RSC. Chill woman! And remember that Neurofen will ease that aching head.


I've had the usual eye-brow lifting shopping list; a big girl's blouse and tartan skirt for the mighty Harry T who plays Mrs Isabel End; an 'Applause' sign and one which reads 'Moo moo' to summon down 'the bull from above'. (Have I mentioned that the show is called 'Never Mind the Bullcocks'? )

The Glam.Ass has been persuaded to make a scoreboard (Did I mention it's a spoof of a TV Quiz?) and its manufacture is turning into a Production in its own right. It will be the star of the show...say no more. This morning's task is to make the numbers to go on it.

Much of the rest of life is put on hold for the duration of rehearsals - not that I've felt inclined to go outside and make a start on the myriad of garden jobs which are begging to be done. This month so far could be summed up with the words 'fog' and 'mud'. The ground is sodden and we have been in the clouds for 50% of the time. How I long to feel the sun on my back again.

These two turkeys made me smile though.  Were they walking to Welshpool - they were certainly heading in that direction.

How like dinosaurs they are - thank goodness they are no bigger. The small Mountain Kingdom of Trelystan, twinned with Jurassic Park perhaps.

10 comments:

rachel said...

I always chuckle at your bitter complaining about the amateur theatricals of which you are so obviously an essential part now! I hope we'll get to see the GA's scoreboard?

Chris Stovell said...

Good luck with that!

Tattieweasle said...

I know spring is sprung whenever you talk of the YFC Dramatic Competition! Good luck to all esp those having to organise it!!!!

Blossomcottage said...

I have just returned from Africa staying with friends in Nairobi I heard such a similar story, they produced a pantomime to raise money for the Karen Street Children, by the time they came to perform for 7 days they were nearly all on their knee and the friendship gap had widened to a ravine. Still they raised loads for the charity and declared that a car boot sale would be easier!!.
the very best of luck.
Blossom

Twiglet said...

I bet you enjoy every minute really! It will be a good giggle I am sure - best of luck to all. I love the thought of massive raptor turkeys roaming the lanes to Welshpool!

Pondside said...

Ah go on...you're loving every minute of it - and it keeps you from being depressed about the fog and the mud.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall.......

Zoƫ said...

Love the shopping list - especially the big girls blouse! Had me in mind of Les Dawson gurning whilst dressed up as a women!

You know you love doing this really - and I am sure the YFC love you for it too!

Fennie said...

Please don't mention line-learning to Rosie: she might get ideas. I have 261 speeches to learn in our current play and that is enough for a very long time. Berludy Amdram, eats your time and spits out your soul. And all you get is some old biddy wandering out the door muttering about the brothel scenes being unconvincing! If your lot ever feel like travelling you could come and do a show in our theatre here.

snailbeachshepherdess said...

doesn't time fly - it doesnt seem that long since you were doing it last year!

Kirsty.A said...

Break a leg!