It's the same with memes - they're beginning to stack up too. A bit of organisation is called for.
Firstly elizabethm tagged me with this book meme:
- Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
- Open the book to page 123.
- Find the fifth sentence.
- Post the next three sentences.
- Tag five people.
The book is Jane Gardam's 'Old Filth' and the extract is as follows:
'Upstairs. I still hear her stick thumping on the floor for the commode. Sometimes I start heating up her milk.'
Not much to go on there. It was a charity shop purchase and it will be returned next time I go into town. The best thing about the book I think is the acronym for Filth - Failed in London Try Hong Kong. I certainly didn't find it 'A magnificent, deeply moving and compassionate portrait of an era and a sentimental education' as the Daily Mail's reviewer did.
Secondly Bodran asked for 6 household hints. Hmm. I'm still thinking about these as housewifery isn't a strong point. Anyway here goes:
- Do things immediately when they need doing - otherwise they multiply, get lost and inevitably get worse. This certainly includes tidying up and filing. I suppose it's the 'stitch in time' philosophy.
- We've found that not having carpets has reduced the amount of vacuuming......and I've not cleaned a bath for 3 years - mainly because we don't have one though.
- We write dates on eggs so we know which order to use them in. I guess this only applies if you have your own hens.
- Vinegar and newspaper are good for cleaning windows.
- To avoid a fishy smelling kitchen insist that husband/whoever cooks kippers in the garden.
- Civit-Bang doesn't shift those pesky memes....